M33YGV: Title:BUG: Google Picasa sharing URLs include owner’s Google account number
- M5XOG3: for instance https://picasaweb.google.com/<OwnerGoogleAccountNum/>/<AlbumName/>?authkey=<KeyNum/>#<Photo?Num/>
- M5XOJF: Problems this cause include, from least to most serious:
- M5XOMS: Causes URLs which are quite a bit longer than necessary
- M5XOK0: Changing the owner changes the URL (bad idea: for instance, you generally want to transfer ownership of an organization WITHOUT changing it’s name & addresses)
- M5XOM0: Reveals the owner unnecessarily & unavoidably.
- M5XP27: For instance, by extracting the account #, one can go to the person’s Google Profile via https://profiles.google.com/<OwnerGoogleAccountNum/>/about?hl=en .
- M5XP0A: But there are situations where someone doesn’t want to reveal exactly who took/owns the picture, video, or album.
- M5XP6A: This is privacy hole, similar to the problem with gmail (or some other email client) sending email from a valid From address but revealing the underlying email account (such as sending an business email from a personal account and revealing the personal account), the Gmail on-behalf-of issue that it Google eventually had to correct. Thanks to the correction, Gmail can maintain the sender’s privacy, but still any linked Picasa media (photos & videos) in the email, or sent by any means, will still reveal the underling sender’s Google account! -so now all that privacy is effectively lost.
- M5XOIV: This is unlike http://Docs.Google.com aka http://Drive.Google.com URLs, for example https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=<KeyNum/>&hl=en_US#gid=1
M5XSGO: Workarounds: not looking good
M5XSHF: Having multiple (probably many) Google accounts and transferring media to each as appropriate: not likely
- M5XSLP: Transferring/moving media between Picasa accounts is mostly impossible
- M5XSK8: So has to be done immediately (as on media’s first upload) but that’s very difficult as to decide in real time how to divide up the photo/video shoot, and to be constantly swapping, is very disruptive often to the point of impractical.
M5XSP0: Use Picasa just for initial-else-general storage, then copy/move to some other account (as perhaps Flickr) for sharing
M5XSRY: None other known.
M33Z0T: Additional post history, in order:
- M5XO9H: I create this
- M3KNZ6: Why?
- M3KNXM: by:
- M5XPPG: Now have a fairly usable, releasable version, so 1st publish.
- M5XSTQ: Added M5XSGO: Workarounds: not looking good
- M5XV1O: Fixed URL and added link for M5XSLP: Transferring/moving.
- M5XO9H: I create this