- MAYCNN:currently updated every ~1 days; version ID is the ID of last entry in the post history.
- M87XAJ:fully outlined with the most essential and/or timely detals first and/or in-bold. So to skim, just read in order the top-level points and, when a match, its bold points.
- M33YGV:title: CONSTRUCTING: Getting/exporting/capturing/converting video off/from the Motorola DCH6416 DVR to an external file in a good format as AVC or open alternatives in .mkv or .mp4
- MAZBWQ:subsections: WHAT & WHY, WHEN, WHERE, COST, WHO’S PARTICIPATING, WHAT TO DO, ADDITIONAL DETAILS, POST TODO, CREATORS, ADDITIONAL DETAILS FOR ORGANIZERS/DEVELOPERS, FOOTNOTES, POST HISTORY.
- MJPX3V:related text I originally wrote in Google Calendar entry MJPLFN
MJPOFF: About 3 years ago I used CapDVHS (Firewire) to capture files off the DVR, however this had several drawbacks including had to do record real-time (not just copy the source file) & program regularly crashed; however Googling for that I found apparent official source http://www.videohelp.com/tools/CapDVHS which is extremely old “Latest version: \ 0.3.0.6 (August 12, 2003) ” and I remembered it crashed a lot, so perhaps there is something newer & better.
MJPOGU: Copying the video files the DVR creates would be great if it can be done.
MJPP7W: *https://www.google.com/search?q=Motorola+DCH6416+video+export+OR+capture+drive found me the links below.
MJPOH1: I bought an eSata cable to do this. And it’s worth a try.
MJPOHS: however appears it won’t work as the external HDD files are encrypted says http://www.avsforum.com/t/647916/motorola-dct6412-moving-recorded-files/30#post_11172205 however others say it does http://www.avsforum.com/t/647916/motorola-dct6412-moving-recorded-files#post_9862493 .
MJPOLC: removing the built-in drive and copying off the files
MJPOLS: * http://www.avsforum.com/t/647916/motorola-dct6412-moving-recorded-files#post_7437072 reports the files are playable
MJPOMG: * http://www.ehow.com/how_7799865_play-dvr-tsp-file.html explains how to convert them to common file formats: just use http://sourceforge.net/projects/pvrexplorer-pro .
- MJPXB4:RE: “Motorola DCH6416” <MJPM41@eT..m>;.
- MJPZW5:The final format
- MJPZX9:dVery complex due to the myriad of options each with good points, as made clear by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Controversies .
-end of WHAT & WHY
-end of WHEN
-end of WHERE
-end of COST
-end of WHO’S PARTICIPATING?
-end of WHAT TO DO
- .MJPX1T:Within a week or so, remove the “CONSTRUCTING” in the title; see the end of the post history for status.
-end of FUTURE PLANS
-end of ADDITIONAL DETAILS
-end of POST TODO
-end of CREATORS
-end of FOOTNOTES
- MJPZO0:Want to get the contents (videos) of DVRs of this model off into external storage & playable most anywhere, currently for a particular video to show to occasionally show to small groups for training (calendar entry MJPLFN) but many more just for personal use or this use especially as the DVR fills.
- MJPWPT: so now create this post
- MJPZSB:has some core findings; ~25% complete 1st version, now 1st publishing pst2013.03.15Fri1408.
-end of POST HISTORY